Job Title: Senior Quantity Surveyor
Salary/Rate: £45,000 - £55,000
Job Type: Permanent
Industry/Specialist Area: Construction
Our client is one the UK’s leading contractors within the manufacturing and new build construction arena, offering specialist offsite building solutions. Acting as a Principal Contractor, Lead Designer, or a specialist Subcontractor, they have the capability to deliver projects from conception through to handover from the single largest offsite manufacturing facility in the UK. Operating across the UK, they deliver services for the education, residential and hotel sectors, as well as commercial, custodial, military and student accommodation, offices and retail outlets.
Due to a significant increase in contract awards and workload, and a dedication to continued profitable, long term growth our client is now seeking to appoint a Senior Quantity Surveyor whom will assist with all commercial and contractual matters, and should effectively support the Commercial Director and Management team to successfully deliver a wide range of technically complex and challenging projects.
- Overseeing commercial activities and financial governance, working closely with the contract teams
- Risk identification and management
- Cash flow management and budget compliance
- Continual review and challenge of existing processes to identify and implement best practice
- To draw up contracts and sub-contracts or ensure contracts have been drawn up prior to commencement of work and to review contracts drawn up by third parties
- To oversee tendering activities including Enquiries, Bid Evaluations, Proposals of Bidder selection, Settlement of Claims and disputes
- Identifying and managing risk and opportunities associated with the contracts
- Provide commercial/contractual advice to contract teams
- Notification, preparation and agreement of insurance claims
- Attend project start up and close out meetings
- To oversee WIP levels and cash flow to ensure efficient processes and cash collection
- Oversee the timely submission of final accounts to clients
- Maintain a register of contractual claims and disputes for and against the company
- Undertake annual commercial audit for each main contract to ensure good practice and compliance with procedures
- Prepare monthly financial reports identifying trends and areas for improvement
- Managing contracts (Using NEC3 and Bespoke forms) including final account measurement and agreement of interim assessments, Early Warning Notifications, Compensation Events and Extensions of Time etc.
- Preparing and submission of Early Warnings / Agreeing quotations for EW / Compensation events and resolving disputes
- Financial reconciliation and general contractual administration
- Attending / contributing to risk management, value engineering, cost / value, progress and design meetings
- Preparation of weekly / monthly cost / value reports, including KPI information, estimates of defined costs to complete, Pain / Gain position
- Preparing and agreeing of final accounts and sub-contract documents, including sub contract set up
- A Quantity Surveying Degree is desirable however HNC / HND will be considered with relevant experience
- A sound working knowledge of construction and contract law and various forms of Conditions of Contract
- A detailed knowledge and understanding of tendering and procurement processes
- A knowledge of construction techniques, with particular experience in new build and maintenance arenas would be desirable
- The ability to apply the knowledge and principles of commercial management to construction projects
- Working knowledge of basic plant, equipment and materials
This challenging and exciting opportunity, requires an individual with a strong commercial / quantity surveying background, and demonstrable experience within the design, manufacture and construction of permanent buildings. An attractive basic salary plus extensive benefits package is on offer to the successful candidate, along with longevity in security of work and forward career progression.
We are committed to equal opportunities. We wish to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and appointed solely on their suitability for the post irrespective of race, gender, age, disability, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, marital / civil partnership status, religion / belief or nationality.